Testing Accommodations

ACT and SAT Accommodations

What are they?

The SAT and the ACT are two standardized tests that many/most colleges use as part of their admissions criteria. Students are not required to take both exams, but are encouraged to take at least 1 that best suits them.

When do I take them?

Typically students chose to take the exams in the second half of junior year. Some students decide to take both exams, to see which one is best for them, and then repeat that exam in senior year.

Accommodations and Standardized Tests:

As a student who receives accommodations in school through a 504 or IEP you may be entitled to SAT or ACT accommodations. The only way to receive them is to apply for them.

How do I apply?

The application process for the SAT and ACT are different and can take several weeks to complete. Please register early and let your counselor know of your intent!

PSAT or SAT: Parents must sign a parental release and hand back to school counselor. The school counselor will then submit all paperwork (completed application, copy of the accommodations page and any testing the student has done) to the Collegeboard. Collegeboard will review the application and make a decision. If accommodations are granted the student is issued an SSD number that can be used for every test after that.

**Approval for SAT Accommodations carries to all Collegeboard tests; PSAT, AP’s and Subject Exams. 

ACT: Families must fill out and ACT Extended time application and register online. Both the extended time application and the registration admission ticket must be given to the school counselor for completion. School Counselors will then mail all information to the ACT Board. This process must be done at the same time as a student registers for exams.

How long can approval take?

Approval for accommodations can take up to several months, plan early and speak with your counselor.

What if I don’t want to use my Accommodations?

You don’t have to. Asking for them and using them is a family decision.

Any other questions?

Please see your school counselor.