Can the school nurse give medication to my child?

Yes.  Prescription and nonprescription medications may be given according to Connecticut State Law and Regulations which requires an MD, DDS, OD, APRN or PAC’s written order and parent/guardian’s signed authorization.  Specifically:

Prescription and Nonprescription Medications to be given at school Requires:

  1. A written and signed order form by a licensed prescriber (forms available in clinic or downloaded from school clinic website).
  2. A parent or guardian signature on the form.
  3. An adult MUST deliver medication to the clinic.  Students are NOT permitted to carry medication to and from school.
  4. Medication must be in its original container with the pharmacy label attached.